Changing of the Guard: Attacat Ben to become…well…Ben
Nearly 4 years ago I took one the biggest business decision of my career to date. I decided it was time for someone else to lead the growth of Attacat. That someone was Ben Rogers. It turns out it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Letting go (to some extent anyway – I’m sure Ben will see it slightly differently!) wasn’t easy but it turned out to be a master class in the power of genuine delegation – give the right person real responsibility, watch them exceed expectations and enjoy!
Ben has achieved a huge amount here and I am very grateful to him for the hard work, dedication and enthusiasm which he bought to his role as “Operations and Business Development Director”
During his reign we have:
- Grown the team from 4 amazing people to 10 amazing people with more to come (more on that later)
- Done a rebrand that means we now have colourful characters in our design in addition to those who dutifully turn up every morning (well most mornings, cough)
- Moved from a much loved but frankly dingy basement to a George Street penthouse suite with one of the best views in Edinburgh
- Had a visit from the first minister
- Expanded our services to provide a much more all encompassing online marketing service, including the introduction of our conversion rate optimisation service
- Won an award or two
- Gained a table tennis table
- Have been saved from an erratic music choice that would have otherwise lurched from death metal to Disney.
- Seen the world go infographic crazy (see below)
In short, it’s been a blast.
Out with the old, and in with the…erm…slightly older
But all good things come to an end and I’m sad to say Ben has taken the decision to move on now that the original profit share deal we structured reached its conclusion. From the 1st of October he will be working with Monitor.us (a website monitoring tool) and their parent GFI (the parent company).
For my part, the sadness is mixed with excitement. Excitement about being 100% behind the steering wheel again and excitement about the opportunities this creates for the team.
The first question that gets asked is “Are we going to replace Ben”? The short answer is no.
I’m very lucky to be surrounded by a lot of very good people here so whilst I will be taking on some of Ben’s responsibilities, others will be split across the team. It has always been my preference to recruit at the bottom and promote from within (lets face it, it’s better than recruiting from within and promoting from the…no lets not go there!).
So there will be a number of promotions and we will shortly launch a graduate recruitment round.
We’ve been working hard on handing things over for a while and ensuring a smooth transition for those clients that have been working with Ben is obviously our number one priority. If we haven’t spoken already, we will do in the very near future.
Change however always brings opportunity and there are new ideas aplenty. So whilst it is business as usual, you can expect to see a gear change in the coming months.
We thank Ben, wish him the best of luck and as a mark of respect send him off with his very own infographic cobbled together in a few minutes.