social media & online PR
Social Media: The enabling technologies that allow each of us to become a publisher and/or broadcaster.
aka: online word of mouth
Almost synonymous with: Online PR, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, Pinterest, Google +, Blogging, Forums, Community Building, Conversations
Not to be confused with: teenagers, passing fad.
Struggling to understand what it’s all about? Don’t worry so does Wikipedia!
Put simply, the advent of Social Media is to Word of Mouth, what the Train was to someone wanting to get from Edinburgh to London – a much more efficient and effective way of doing it, making things possible that weren’t previously doable and making tried and tested ways of doing things redundant.
Even Rupert Murdoch accepts its power: “Technology is shifting the power away from the editors, the publishers, the establishment, the media elite. Now it’s the people who are in control.” The same can be said for the brand/consumer relationship.
There are so many grey lines between Social Media and Online PR. Is an online newspaper article Online PR? Of course but as you can comment on most articles, they are also definitely social. If you can’t comment are they still social? Possibly not.
At the end of the day, they are both about getting people (even a BBC correspondent is a person) to talk or write about you online.
some social media stats
- Visiting social sites is now more popular than e-mail accounting for 20%+ of time spent online
- 2/3 of the Global Internet Population visit social networks
- 4 billion hours of video are watched on YouTube each month
- In tests Wikipedia, with its 23 million articles, has been found to be more accurate than Encyclopaedia Britannica
- There are now 1 billion active Facebook Users
- 2.7 billion fan pages are ‘liked’ every day. Coca-Cola is the biggest.
- LinkedIn has 175 million members, with 2 new members joining every second
- Twitter has over 500 million active users sending over 340 million tweets per day
- Over 20% of Facebook users are on Pinterest daily and it overall has 12 million monthly unique visitors
- Google+ has 10 million users and its button is served more than 5 billion times a day
Do you think your potential customers are in there somewhere? Whether you are selling mass market trainers or second hand industrial scale confectionery equipment, they will be and some of the conversation will be relevant to you.
It’s also where your existing customers are. Indeed your customer service department is perhaps your most effective marketing tool in our connected world.
And we nearly forgot to mention that Social Media and Online PR are essential Search Engine Optimisation Strategies.
attacat social media and online PR services
From the nuts and bolts of setting up a Twitter and Facebook Fan Page to ongoing engagement with your audiences, we can consult, train, manage and even deliver social media strategies (with a friendly warning that you can’t be half hearted about it).
And when it comes to social, we like to practice what we preach. Which is why we’re so proud to work with the fine fellows over at Glasgow-based design and marketing agency fatBuzz, in what has been a unique and fantastically rewarding business partnership.
Attacat and fatBuzz pursue a truly collaborative approach to internet marketing: sharing expert knowledge, co-running training courses and joint marketing of our businesses. Going way beyond your run-of-the-mill joint venture, it’s really more like one team, two cities (together, we’ve pretty much got Scotland covered).
Additional social media skills fatBuzz bring to the mix include video creation, audio podcasting and community management. And of course, another big helping of creative thinking.
For more details on how our dream team can help, give Attacat a (fat)Buzz on 0131 220 1441.